Sunday, May 9, 2021

Book Review - Norwegian Wood - Murakami

 



Read in June 2019

Haruki Murakami was introduced to me when I was gifted his autobiographical work "what I talk about when I talk about running". I had never heard of him before neither as writer nor as runner ( not that I know many other famous and not so famous writers) but reading the book I found Murakami's style of story telling a bit different that keeps some kind of a bond with you and keeps your interest alive till you finish the book with some kind of satisfaction.



Then I searched and found his most famous book is " Norwegian Wood". Long before the book that came into being some 32 years back, the title had become famous by an album with the same name by Beatles, lyrics of which go as:

----

I once had a girl

Or should I say she once had me

She showed me her room

Isn't it good Norwegian wood?

-----

The title of the book is quite appropriate as the opening of the song actually sums up the story described in 386 pages.



I am a bit confused whether or not Murakami is a great author because although story is gripping you can't compare him with the likes of Steinbeck or Ayn Rand who may have had lots of influence in his story writing. Not many will agree with that, but I find that the protagonist in Norwegian Wood, Watanabe is a character much younger, confused as well as sorted out, iconoclastic university going teenager whom the author has tried to portray like Howard Roark of the Fountainhead.



The story keeps a pace and has great description of teenagers life in Japan in the sixties. Their love affairs, sexual desires, philosophical thinking towards life etc etc. Somehow I feel that the teenage sex in such details has taken a prominent place in the story, may be it occupies major part of your life at that age or may be the society in Japan and other advanced countries always talked about it in such peer groups in the manner, even in the sixties.



Coming from a small city where I spent my entire teen years, sex did occupy your thoughts but since it was a taboo and the social interactions with " unknown" girls was frowned upon ( and the known ones were always labeled as sisters), you were forced to refrain from any such relationships (except with yourself). Hence I find the description that occupies a major portion of the book unnecessary if not obscene. The description is also not as subtle as that of DH Lawrence in the " Lady Chatterley's Lover" that look quite appropriate and classy.



Nevertheless it's a good reading especially giving details of the beautiful world of university going teens of the sixties and some lovely description of the beauty of Japan.




No comments:

Post a Comment