Tibet has been in and out of the clutches of China for over 1000 years. But the grip since 1951 is tighter and unbroken. The 14th Dalai Lama (born Lhamo Thondup, spiritual name Tenzin Gyasto)has been the spiritual leader since 1940 and head of the Tibetan government in exile since 1959. He and his followers have been demanding a free Tibet ever since but the mighty and powerful China would hear nothing on the subject. The demand and protest has been on Gandhian principles, not violent (almost). I was fortunate to see the Dalai Lama a couple of times from close quarters and heard him speak on a couple of occasions but never personally met or talked.
His mere presence made me feel heavenly, it was so calming and peaceful like very few people I saw (and some I met) in my life Dr Radhakrishnan (as a child), Indira Gandhi (as a graduating engineer), Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw ( a one in one for over 3 hours a few years before his departure), Ustad Bismillah Khan and a few more. I have a feeling that I would have felt similar had I seen or met Gandhi.
Earlier this week I met Tsering Tharchin, at a petrol pump in Delhi (where I went to refuel "pure petrol"), who was born in Tibet and escaped to India with a desire to return in Free Tibet. He lives in Dharmshala, Himachal Pradesh and has undertaken a journey on foot from Dharmshala to Delhi. He walked 500 kilometres in 32 days and wishes to publicise his and his fellow Tibetan's demand of Free Tibet. One shouldn't laugh at his determination and hope for like Gandhi, Dalai Lama and his followers like Tsering hope that they will achieve freedom one day by non-violence means.
Salute to such spirit. May God be with them.
Oct 02, 2026.



No comments:
Post a Comment